At 11:21 AM 2/7/2002 -0500, Jeff Adolphs wrote:
>I plan on building a white box for my next home computer with all the
>internet advice like www.directron.com, www.amd.com, www.pricewatch.com,
>is should be easy to build up a system without monitor and keypad board
>for around $400 (AMD processor board).

I just put together a system from generic components at the end of 2001, I
reported thoroughly on what I bought and where, on this list, it's in the
archive at

I now consider the following a minimum for serious use of Protel 99SE:

1.5 GHz processor or equivalent (I got an Athlon 1600)
512 MB RAM
two 21 inch monitors running 1600x1200.
Windows 2000

Obviously, you can do a lot with less, and carpenters don't need power
tools, either. But if I hired a carpenter for anything other than antique
restoral, I'd want him to be using power tools! What I described is
*cheap*, especially when compared to the cost of a Protel license!

I've bought a couple of 21 inch monitors since then, so I'd say that the
total cost of everything suggested, plus whatever else is needed to build a
system including at least 60 G of hard drive, CD R/W, etc, would be well
under $1500 including operating system.

(Protel: note that I consider better support for dual monitors crucial for
professional use of Protel. Right now most menus pop up in "screen center,"
which is the center of the desktop, i.e., astride the middle of the two
monitors. I can't change that location. I'm running Matrox hardware, which
does set up a full 3200x1200 desktop; I think that some other dual monitor
implementations might behave differently.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA