At 09:12 AM 2/12/2002 +1030, Colin Earl wrote:
>owever, the behaviour is not what I am after. Imagine a track segment
>heading in a "southerly" direction, then at a vertex it heads
>south-east for a while then at another vertex it continues on
>eastwards. In Expedition PCB, if I were to drag the diagonal segment
>towards the south-west, the length of the diagonal segment would reduce as
>the two other segments extended (not shifted) and remained at their
>original angles.

This is fairly advanced behavior, as design systems go. What's the price on
Expedition?

Anyway, it would be valuable if Protel could do this (it can't). As I
noted, and it has been underscored by others, for a single track simply
redrawing the track with loop removal turned on is as fast or faster than
the behavior Mr. Earl desires.

Where it would be truly useful is where there are a large number of
tight-routed tracks which need to be similarly rerouted. What I'd like to
be able to do is to select the track segments to be moved -- in this
special mode -- and then drag them together.

This is not, strictly speaking, dragging a track segment, because the
segment changes size. Rather the segment is recalculated, holding connected
track, as Mr. Earl described, at fixed angles, and those tracks are also
recalculated.

However, a special autorouting tool would be even better. I'd call it trace
hugging, perhaps it has another name. I would redraw one of a set of
parallel traces (that is, traces which meander together) and then all the
others (containing a selected segment) would be redrawn hugging --
following at minimum clearance -- the one I just drew.

There are a whole series of behaviors like this where really primitive
single-layer autorouting technology, the stuff that has been around for
years, could be applied to assist manual routing.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA