Jörg Guttmann wrote:

> Why is the set of unrouted connections called "ratsnets"?
>
> I didn't find the word in the Langenscheidts english - german dictionnary.
> This seems to be one of  the english words that everybody is
> using and nobody knows the real meaning.

Ratsnets is a misspelling.  The word is rats - nest, a nest made of thin
fibers by rats.

This set is displayed as straight lines from pad to pad, not routed
in an orderly manner.  It loks like a mess - so that is why it has such
a name.  It is of some use to see density of wiring, and also if a
specific net can be highlighted, you can then see the from-to
connectivity.  Also, when there are only a few unrouted nets
remaining, they can all be turned on to see what work remains
and plan strategy by seeing all remaining unrouted nets.  The complete
set of unrouted nets, before routing is pretty much unintelligible.

Jon