At 05:47 AM 2/8/2002 -0500, Darryl Newberry wrote:
>The common rat (e.g. Rattus norvegicus) builds its nest out of any handy
>material such as twigs, grass, or leaves. The result has a chaotic, jumbled
>appearance. It is just another quirky Anglicism to say that something looks
>like a "rat's nest".
>
>This all started back when printed circuits were done with tape and donuts
>on mylar sheets--the "rat's nest" was an actual pictorial drawing showing
>the placement and the connections drawn as straight lines between pins. The
>nickname and the idea stuck and carried over into CAD systems.

Mr. Newberry is correct about the origin of the term, except that I'd think
it began with CAD systems. Generating a rat's nest was simple for a
computer but not at all simple for a manual designer, so I never saw a
manually-done rat's nest drawing.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA