Brian Guralnick wrote:

> What type of driller?
>
> Are you talking about just drilling the pads & holes?
> Or, are you talking about a board milling machine?
>
> Usually, board milling machines will take the Gerber & process it specifically for
> the milling machine.  As for a hole drilling machine, the 1 of the generated drill
> files might already be in a suitable format for the machine.  Remember, Protel
> generates (if I remember correctly) a .drl, a .drr & a .txt which all contain the
> drill data.  The .txt file should be somewhere close to HPGL & Gerber.  It's
> basically a set of  x&y coordinates.

No, the .drr is a drill report, it only tells how many holes of what sizes are
used.

.drl is an EIA format RS-274D file for the drilling machine.  EIA is a paper-tape
format that predates ASCII.

The .txt file is ASCII RS-274D, commonly called an Excellon drill file.  It is nothing
like HPGL at all, which is an HP pen plotter format.  It is related to a Gerber file,
but has major differences (ie. it uses suppressed leading zeroes instead of trailing
zeroes).  Yes, it is mostly X and Y coords, that is true.

Jon