If selection only highlights the edge, that's probably because the Tools |
Preferences | Display, "Hightlight in full" option has been turned off.

As to tracks on turned-off layers showing when the net has the focus (not
selected), that happens on my system, and I think it always has -- BUT, it
doesn't affect polygon tracks.  Polygons of the focused net remain invisible
if their layer is not displayed.  I don't suppose it's possible your
polygons got exploded to primitives?

(BTW, I did a complete re-install of Protel a couple days ago, but kept my
old .rcs, so my system SHOULD be reasonably "clean".)