Steve,
        I checked the source we use for our footprints and on the TSSOP 28
pin devices with the bottom tab, they suggest a pad the same size as the tab
and their common solder paste deposition of 0.006 - 0.008 inches. I haven't
used these particular TSSOP parts but I have used their footprints for years
without incident.
        As for the reasoning, remember that the paste is made of balled
solder shapes typically, there is also a fair volume of flux and other
organics. The reflowed profile would be significantly less then the original
volume.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

See us at Booth 323 at Satellite 2002 in Washington, DC March 6-8.