At 01:46 PM 3/7/2002 -0500, Marshall Edge wrote:

>I have placed a number of components in a schematic from some of the
>standard Protel libraries.  I have then created a new library from that
>schematic and edited some of the read only fields.  However now the "update
>schematics" doesn't work form this new library.

Here is what to do:

(1) Save your new library within a database; it can be your project
database or you can make a new one or you can add it to an existing
database. But do not alter the Protel-supplied libraries or move your own
libraries into the supplied library databases. Why? Because next time you
install Protel, should you need to do so, you might overwrite all your
work. If you have your own libraries and database(s) for them, they would
not be overwritten unless you managed to give them the same full pathnames
as the new ones coming in, pretty unlikely!

(2) In Schematic, if you have a schematic open, on the left of the screen
--unless you have moved it or shut it off -- is a Panel with two tabs at
the top: Explorer and Browse Schematic. If you don't see the panel, click
on View/Design Manager. If you *still* don't see it, you have probably
pulled it to a minimum width, you will need to drag it open from the edge
of your screen. Once you see the tabs, click on Browse Schematic.

(3) Under Browse, choose Libraries.

(4) Add/Remove. A file browser should open.

(5) Navigate to the ddb in which your library was saved. Double-click on
it. The .ddb should appear in the bottom window of the file browser.

(6) Click on OK.

Your library should appear in the list of libraries in the Browse Library
window in the Panel.

Note that if a part name appears in more than one library, the part in the
library listed first in the list will be used. As I recall, the list is
alphabetized, so the only way to control priority is by naming your library
with a lower ASCII sequence name than the standard libraries. But you can
also close the standard libraries with the Add/Remove screen.

I find that sometimes the wrong library gets removed.... I've reported the
bug, but Protel wanted more information and I never got a Round Tuit.

>   I think that the schematic
>is still referencing the original Protel libraries.  Is there any way to
>change this?  Or do I now have to go and delete all the components and
>re-place them with the parts from my newly created library?
>
>I like to keep a separate library that contains all my parts that are
>currently in use.  I am curious to see how other people manage libraries?
>Does anyone have experience interfacing with software called Parts&Vendors?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Marshall

Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA