Evan,

        no good news from me. I did some small microvia layouts in the past the same
way like you. The only way I fiddled out to handle it, is to set one microvia,
copy it and when I need one to interrupt the interactiv routing, change the
Layer, place the next peace of the track and place the via by pasting it
([Ctrl]+[V]). Not a realy easy way, but the only way I know.
        One more problem is that you only can chack the vias visually. No design rule
means no DRC. And that may cause manufacturingproblems.
        I wrote to protel europe and to protel about my problems, but no comment. But I
did not know about these Forum at that time so I never asked here. Perhaps some
of the "gurus" here do know a better way.

Regards,

Waldemar Kulajew