At 07:45 AM 3/26/2002 +0100, Waldemar Kulajew wrote:
>  The only way I fiddled out to handle it, is to set one microvia,
>copy it and when I need one to interrupt the interactiv routing, change the
>Layer, place the next peace of the track and place the via by pasting it
>([Ctrl]+[V]). Not a realy easy way, but the only way I know.

There are better ways. I just set a Top/Mid1 layer pair in the Stack
Manager. I was routing on the Top layer, pressed the * or + key so that Mid
1 became the current routing layer, and the via which was floating was a
blind via.

It is also possible, of course, to edit globally a set of selected vias (or
otherwise chosen vias) to a particular layer pair.

Further, even if one could not route interactively as I found above, one
could use the Protel command stacking facility. While routing, P-V will
stack interactive routing and enter Place Via mode. Say one is routing on
the Top layer. Place Via, editing the via with Tab, as it is floating, to
create the desired layer pair (for this, it does not have to be set in the
stack manager), then place the via, then hit Esc. You should be back in
Interactive routing mode with a floating trace. Hit Esc again to stop
routing the track, change the current layer with * or + to the desired new
layer, then start the track at the via.

But setting it in the Stack Manager causes the layer pair to be used when
one changes layer. This could be a nuisance if most of the board has many
regular vias. I have not thoroughly investigated this behavior.

>         One more problem is that you only can chack the vias visually. No
> design rule
>means no DRC. And that may cause manufacturingproblems.

Not necessarily. I'm not sure what can be checked with DRC, but certainly
connectivity and short checking uses the layer pairs. So if you have
connection and no shorts, what do you care if there is a pad on a layer
besides those for which you have intended a blind or buried via?

Sure, it would be nice to have DRC checking on used layer pairs, but it is
not as dangerous as one might think if there is no such checking.

Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA