At 09:46 AM 3/28/2002 -0500, harmon, brian wrote:
>Lloyd,
>
>         I just spent about a week trying to import an Orcad (*.Max) file to
>Protel. When I imported it with File>>Import (*.Max), I got all of my nets,
>but the copper was not brought in.

What version???!!! Protel imports Layout 9, as I recall. It may or may not
import earlier versions.

>  I contacted Protel's Tech support, and I
>ended up sending them an email with two attachments; a word document with
>PrintScreen shots of what I was doing, and a copy of the (*.Max) file in
>question. It has been over a week since I sent that email, and I've only
>heard more and more bad news from Protel. The "official" word as of right
>now is that I will be stuck re routing the traces myself.

If you can get the gerbers from the original file, it shouldn't be so bad.
The problem reduces to properly massaging the gerbers to get them to import
into Protel. We can usually solve that problem. (Imported gerber draws
become Protel track, and if you copy all that track onto the PCB in the
right position, you will have recovered all your routing. The pads can be
removed except for vias, a small complication....)