The problem is that the translator can not import the files right. I
tried to import PADS files a long time ago, and ran into the same problem.
The only way I was able to import them was in PADS version 2.0 in ASCHII
format. Even then I had layer registration problems, Traces on the wrong
layer, the silkscreen was mixed in with the mechanical layer, and holes
where missing or on the wrong layer.
        I talked to Altum, Protel at the time and they had no answers for
me. I am still working on the translation of a crap load of components,
working them all out by hand after the translation from PADS to Protel. This
is the only work around I have found, besides importing them as gerber data.

Good Luck,

Ted