Wayne Bickers wrote:

> Sorry this is a little off topic but you guys are the ones who will know.
>
> I have 3 issues,
>
> 1) I require a smooth finish, hence gold or silver plating/ flashing
> 2) I need the PCB's to last in stores for a period of time, for arguements
> sake call it 1 year without oxidising
> 3) I need to have some pads hand soldered and require a good wetting effect
> (spreading of the solder when applied)
>
> I would appreciate it if anyone out there has tried both and could indicate
> which may be the better finishing material to use.

Keep the unused boards in a zip-lock bag before use, and they will stay
in good shape.  Don't store any paper (may give off acids) inside the bag.
If the bag has a hole in it, you will see a dark disk right under the hole
after a few years.  If you have air pollution (sulfur dioxide in the air)
silver will turn brown or black after a few years.

Jon