Hi Daniel,
        find my replies interspersed with your questions.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Visit us at Booth 2G2-09 at CommunicAsia 2002 in Singapore June 18-21.

        One library database containing three libraries (SCH, SMD & Through
hole). This database also contains our schematic templates.

> 2. Do you use generic names for your symbols and footprints,
> or do you use
> unique names for each in individual part ?

        We use generic land patterns and typically generic symbols. With ICs
where there can be many variations we use more specific schematic symbols.

> 3. Do you find that as your library sizes increase your
> system is more taxed
> and slows down ?

        Our libraries are not that big and no I haven't noticed any speed
issues thus far.

> 4. How do you regulate the creation and editing of symbols and
> footprints ?
> Do you have a librarian ? Do you set permissions on your
> library files?

        I act as librarian, I have copies of the library DDB on my system
for editing, after release I copy the libraries to a network drive and set
the OS file properties to read-only.

> 5. Do you use the grouping function in your schematic symbol
> libraries, and
> do you find this works effectively for you ?

        Don't use the grouping function.

> 6. Do you find it difficult to standardize "SOT-23" symbols
> and footprints,
> since every manufacturer labels the pins differently ?

        We have adopted the most standard 1,2,3 configuration and said screw
all the manufacturers that can't get on board with that. Makes us out of
synch with a few manufacturers datasheets but shouldn't the synch really be
with the schematic and if you have the schematic and the datasheet any
reasonable person can quickly figure it out.

> 7. Do you hope "DXP" will be out soon ?

        Really couldn't careless at the moment because Protel has screwed us
all around so much with ATS and DXP since last fall and all their lack of
forward path details for existing users. It is not going to happen for us
this year because I could not get management to budget for it based on
unfounded predictions and innuendo.