Dennis,
        the silver via through hole that they mention is the silver epoxy
ink via process. They mask the vias one side, feed in silver epoxy ink, mask
the topside and cure it. It is an inexpensive plating process for 2 sided
PCBs. It is also the only reliable through hole process for cheap CEM1 and
Phenolic type laminate materials because they cannot be typically
electroplated or can't be electroplated reliably.

        I would have to doubt that the silver via through hole process is
used for any multilayer assemblies if that is what you were reading into the
brochures.

        As for cost savings, they save costs by using the cheaper laminates,
punching holes instead of drilling. The 20 - 30% savings is probably a
little on the conservative side because the laminates are that much cheaper
then FR4. The additional savings would typically be from punching holes. The
silver via process itself is not that much cheaper then electroplating, you
save on the laminate and the punching costs.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Visit us at Booth 2G2-09 at CommunicAsia 2002 in Singapore June 18-21.