Dennis,
        you got it! It is the same or at least similar process to that used
by some prototype systems. As for the soldering it takes some thought to do
your layout with all solder connections on the bottom side. Similar to
single-sided design but with the ability to go 2 sided after you leave the
component pad. The other method that is similar is the old throughhole
rivets that have all but completely disappeared ( I was using these in a few
designs until approx. 1997, cheap cheap cheap consumer junk , i.e.
disposable).

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Visit us at Booth 2G2-09 at CommunicAsia 2002 in Singapore June 18-21.