Ivor Davies wrote:

> ... We have a huge number of PCB designs in Boardmaker and require to import

 > them somehow into Protel.

> It has been suggested that the Gerbers generated by Boardmaker can be imported

 > via Camtastic.

I don't feel strong enough to give you suggestions, except general ones.
There were many posts about importing designs to Protel through Gerber files
and you may find them either in this forum's archive or (I think more easily)
in the mail archive of the forum on:
http://www.mail-archive.com/proteledaforum%40techservinc.com/

 > Any suggestions on how to tackle this problem and any general solutions to
 > importing designs into Protel from nothing but Gerbers

Is it possible to export your designs in any other format (e.g. ASCII) that
could be read by other EDA software (OrCAD, Cadstar, PADS, Tango, etc.)?
What I mean is:
If you are going to import from your software to Protel with 2 intermediate
steps (Gerbers and Camtastic), maybe it's possible to do it another way with
2 or 3 intermediate steps to gain your design with all "knowledge" about
logical connections, components etc., which you won't have with Gerber.
Protel can directly import very few formats, but there are "third party
importers" - starting from freeware up to quite expensive utilities.

If you have huge number of PCB's, as you said, maybe it will be reasonable
to pay the author of such importer to modify it so, that it will read the
format that your old software may produce.

Wojciech Oborski