Igor,
        in practice one must click the Convert special strings box unless
for some reason you just wanted useless ".designator" text strings
cluttering up your database. The problem is, ".designator" is a reasonably
long string especially sized at some readable/printable size when compared
to an 0402 or even 0201 component. Even when the convert special strings box
is checked, the ".designator" string still exists in it's entire length
within the database even though it has adapted the relatively short
designator to display. So you can have a component with a bounding outline
extends far past the actual boundaries of the physical component because of
the length of the ".designator" string. This can lead to many annoying
selection problems because component overall bounding areas extend over each
other or significantly farther away from the component then one might
expect.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Visit us at Booth 2G2-09 at CommunicAsia 2002 in Singapore June 18-21.