I always use a macro that closes all open documents then closes the project,
before shutting down Protel.

Assigned to a toolbutton or shortcut key it's a handy way to avoid this sort
of thing, also it makes starting Protel quicker (also I don't have to
remember to hold CNTRL when starting).

It's a pretty simple macro:

Sub Main
    RunProcess "Client:CloseAllOpenDocumentsInView"
    RunProcess "Client:CloseProject"
End Sub

You could even add:

    RunProcess "Client:QuitFromEDAClient"

to make Protel shut down after closing the documents and project.
Note that this would only close one project before shutting down if you had
multiple projects open.
I leave it to the reader to think of a way to close all documents and
projects before shutting down, as I am rather busy at the moment.

Tom.