Ian,
we often use parts out of the standard "Simulation Models.ddb" library which
is located in the default 'Model_Path' (\Design Explorer 99
SE\Library\Sim\). The IRF840 in the schematic library "Sim.ddb" references
its model there in the 'read-only field 3':
file={Model_Path}\MOSFET\<parttype>.ckt
This works fine.
The simulator scans the 'Model_Path' for discrete model files (or subcircuit
files) and it scans at least the "Simulation Models.ddb", if there is one
(do not know if it even scans all ddbs in the path).
The subfolders in the library field are treated as if they were subfolders
of the 'Model_Path'.
(The 'Model_Path' variable is defined in the AdvSim99SE.ini file in the
windows directory)
If we use models, which are not supplied by protel, we store the related
.mdl or .ckt files in a directory under the 'Model_Path', e.g. we have a
"\Design Explorer 99 SE\Library\Sim\IR\" directory for parts from
International Rectifiers. They would be referenced in 'read-only field 3'
as:
file={Model_Path}\IR\<parttype>.ckt (or .mdl, in a special schematic library
for that kind of parts, as the reference field is read-only and can not be
changed 'on the fly' in the schematic editor).

Rolf Molitor
Ing.Buero i2e
Remscheid / Germany