hi matt,
yes i recall you writing about this before

since brad mentioned a .cfg file ...
what i think brad was referring to and what i was thinking about were
not those global files but rather the little files that hold things like
your  last BOM option choices which are specific to the files you are
working upon and which are held within the DDB

brad, are those the files you are talking about?, or is it the
Client99SE.cfg which matt describes?

god, i hope that DXP is not a pc of crap and that it resolves rather
than propagates this sort of stuff

Dennis Saputelli

Matt Pobursky wrote:

> In my c:\WINNT directory (where Protel put them ;))
>
> Actually there's only one .cfg file -- Client99SE.cfg -- I actually
> meant all the config files in general.
>
> Based on the time stamps, it looks like Protel writes a new
> Client99SE.rcs, Client99SE.raf, Client99SE.ndr, Client99SE.ini and
> Client99SE.cfg file on exit. It also appears to write the .ini and .dft
> of any servers you have open on exit also (in my case AdvSch99SE).
>
> What I see when Protel bombs is that the Client99SE.ini or .cfg (or
> both) files get trashed. Protel pops up an Exception Error message and
> when you look at the .ini file, it's truncated. It sometimes also
> trashes one of the other server .ini files. It's strange and repeatable
> on several different systems, mine and my PCB designer's (at a
> different location). It occurs with Win2K SP2 (which we both run) or
> Win98SE. It always crashes when the status message about writing the
> "configuration file" is in the status bar as Protel is shutting down.
>
> The crazy thing is if I close all the ddb files before I exit, it NEVER
> crashes. I also don't get any crashes with the same ddb's doing
> everyday schematic or PCB work on them. Very strange.
>
> Matt Pobursky
> Maximum Performance Systems
>
> On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 18:52:21 -0700, Dennis Saputelli wrote:
> >where exactly are these cfg files you refer to ?
> >inside your DDB with the file name of the schematic?
> >
> >Dennis Saputelli
> >

> >Matt Pobursky wrote:
> >>
> >>Brad,
> >>
> >>What was the fix?
> >>
> >>I get corrupt .cfg files all the time if I exit Protel with any ddb's
> >>open. Maybe there's some correlation? If I close all the ddb's before
> >>I exit Protel, it never corrupts the .cfg files.
> >>
> >>(and yes, I keep a clean copy of all my .cfg files tucked away so I
> >>don't have to reset all my defaults by hand. Uggh.)
> >>
> >>Matt Pobursky Maximum Performance Systems

* Tracking #: 33C447DEDB42E444B754B73D0BDD9B8B810988EC