On 10:31 AM 23/07/2002 -0700, Daniel Webster said:

>Has anyone developed footprints for microstrip sections ? I have been trying
>to do this with pads set to certain length and widths. Mitered corners are
>particularly challenging to make as a library footprint. I have used two
>pads placed side by side at a 45 degree angle with the desired measurements.
>If I add fills to this footprint to complete the desired pattern then I will
>get DRC errors on my board once I load a netlist. It would be nice for this
>situation to have various pad shapes available (user defined), triangular,
>trapazoidal, etc. If anyone has found a solution, or knows where I can find
>microstrip footprints, please let me know.
>
>Thanks,
>Daniel

Protel does not support complex pads as such.  You can achieve what you
want with combinations of pads and fills as you are doing.  To remove the
DRC errors you can use the "Update Free Primitives from Component Pads"
command.  This command says free primitives but it will actually update
fills and tracks that are part of a footprint.

This command is somewhat hidden:
Design/Netlist Manager... Click on the Menu button and select Update Free
Primitives from Component Pads.

When you synchronise from a Sch to the PCB using Tools/Update PCB you can
check the Assign Net to Connected Copper check box but I found this made
the synch slower than otherwise and by more than the time taken to manually
run the Update Free Primitives from Component Pads process - I did not do a
careful check though.

Ian Wilson

* Tracking #: E15F96AD78499A488F1F631A9C6D0D87C69599AD