Daniel, Ian,
        there is a further possible design corruption problem when using the
Assign Net to Connected Copper function during an update. If you have
updated a footprint to a new footprint at the same time that you are
updating with the connected copper checked. You can really screw up your
database if the new footprint touches some copper that the old part did not,
or the new part is in a different rotation and touches some copper
(typically GND) that it shouldn't have. The part may be updated, make the
illegal connection, then the update copper from connected pads updates the
illegally connected copper to the wrong net (usually changing it from GND in
my designs). I prefer to run the update, check all existing components in
the existing layout (typically only those already placed and routed) to see
that they don't make a short to something they shouldn't, then I will run
the Netlist Manager, Update Free Primitives From Component Pads function.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.