Tim Fifield wrote:

> I want to export a schematic to a database so that I can try some hot
> linking. The protel handbook (pg. 163) says: "Select File >> Export to
> Database to pop up the Export Database dialog."

Tim,
There are, unfortunatelly, 2 things mixed up together.
Hot Linking is something a little different than Database Import/Export.
Hot Linking (described in Manual on page 159) appears correctly in the
menu under
Tools\Database Links.
Database Import/Export (described in Manual on page 163) - although
implemented -
doesn't appear in the menu (at least on some installations). It's
described in Protel's KB Item 1920.

> I exported a schematic to a database file changed ONE libref and tried to
> import the schematic. The computer goes into "freeze mode" like what happens
> when I change anything and a really large pcb with out turning off the
> hatching in polygons and hiding the GND nets. (CPU @ 100%) Then it gave me
> the typical "it's a good idea to restart your computer after you crash,
> blah, blah, blah....".

It has been reported here that Database Import works very, very slowly.
So when Protel performs import (and counts stars on the sky) you may
make coffee and relax :)

Wojciech Oborski

* Tracking #: 628F0EC3B91FD64DA65FE05FAE37F80F3947429B