27/07/2002 17:59:21, "Michael Reagan (EDSI)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To make PCAD
>work you still need another 35 K to by a real router like SPECTRA.

Yes, and Cadence seem to be tightening the thumbscrews on standalone
Specctra, too - does anyone know if the Autorouter in DXP is likely to work,
(and _really_ work, on real boards,) or is it just another almost-there attempt?
I'm obviously reluctant to cough up that much hard-earned to Cadence for
another Specctra seat, but unless there's an alternative, I'm going to have to
buy a second seat for 6+ routing layers, and that's a lot of money that Protel /
Altium are going to miss out on. It's also (provably) a feature I'd pay money
for, rather than a pointless FPGA engine that'll never work as well as the free
tools from the vendors, or any of the other frippery that seems imminent. (or
as imminent as the increasingly-delayed DXP is... I'm starting to expect a
weaselly letter that says that the Protel seat I bought, with the express promise
that it'd turn into a DXP seat, will need a pile of 'maintenance' money 12
months in, as DXP gets later and later, in order for that promise not to
become void.).
Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant. I wait with interest, to see whether I
move fully to DXP, or freeze at 99SE + Specctra, since that combo is good
enough to earn a living, and I'm used to its foibles, and can at least get
working designs out the door)

Steve Wiseman

* Tracking #: 5128C2781166A347B6189F2C890FB0C2CF8A8280