Tim Fifield wrote:

> Here's another few questions I've been wondering about for some time.
>
> Why is it that when I place a Pin (when making a sch symbol for a connector)
> the pin name and number start at 8?

The pin number (and name?) auto-increment, and the pin place form always
offers to use the number after the last one placed.  When you do "Place
Pin", hit "Tab" to get the pin information form, and change the name and
number as required.

> Why is the net of the power ports I place on a schematic the same net name
> of the very first power port I ever placed in protel, ever?

Again, while placing a power port, hit "Tab" to get the info form, and
change the name (and port type, if desired), and that name and port type
will become the new default.

> Why is it that when I place a text string in PCB I get the text that I was
> using in a completely different .ddB?

Same as above.

> Why is this info being stored and how do I stop it from doing so? Especially
> the pin number starting 8.

If you change the pin number _while_ placing a pin, you will get a new
default value next time you go to place a pin - this is frequently
useful, as when placing a series of pins with sequential numbers.

* Tracking #: 8607BD69FA99524F9ECEA502C6B7CBD5D31A4356
Peter Bennett
TRIUMF
4004 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada
GPS and NMEA info and programs:
http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/index.html