To All on this one,
I have also been in this situation
with a board I had to use the "update free primitive"
to connected copper. IMHO this is a VERY VERY dangerous command unless you
are ABSOLUTELY sure there is nothing touching any pads that it should
not be. I have used fottprints of pads touching to
tie A & D GND's etc together and if that has been done
it will pick one of those nets and make that one net.
NOT just the fact that trace touched this was clearly
only pads touching but it made both ends one net.
Also if there were footprint changes and traces
just happen to be touching things that really don't
want to be you are also in trouble. Yes DRC should
flag all of these but IMHO this is a very dangerous
and time consuming way to deal with this.
I had to use this function because I did a board
with contact patterns for switches I built into
the footprint, and this is the only way Protel deals
with making those tracks in the footprint become
proper net. Again don't like it at all this way.
It also seems to me that Protel is not
consistant with respect to update, I have seen
in some cases what is described in this thread,
and also times where it actually updated the nets
properly to new connections. Also it does not seem
consistant with update footprints either, sometimes
it does it and sometimes I have had to update
them manually as I knew I changed one and it was not updated during PCB
update with that option checked.
Also on this board I did see that Online DRC did
not actually update in real time, only after moving aound
the board, and if I remember correctly, and maybe closing and going back in
did I in fact see the green
come up to inform me I had the shorts.
I have not dealt with that phone board in awhile
and my changes to boards has been pretty
minimal so I have not seen this in awhile, but
I would say Protels PCB update is a little
flaky, and a word of caution be very careful
with the "update free primitives" command!!!!
Bob Wolfe