Robert,

Update free primitives is a very good command to use.  I use flawlessly on
every design.  If you are getting drc errors when invoking the command then
you must have traces shorted from one  pad to another.

The exact process I use is different than most others recommended practice,
here is what I do

1 clear all nets from the design
2. load a new netlist
3 update free primitives
4 run drcs

The reason I follow this procedure is because it can save hours of Protel
crunching the netlist over and over again.   If the pcb still has drc errors
then there is a problem in the pcb file.

I have used this process for hundreds of designs, and hundreds of thousands
connections.   It has never failed me

Mike Reagan
EDSI
Frederick MD