yes on one machine (of 4, all win2k)
it frequently did exactly what you describe here (failed to finish
compact when closing a DDB and protel session completely vanishes in
poof)

after a lot of frittering we replaced the whole box and now that problem
seems cured
still don't know if it was hardware or software

Protel was no help, they claimed they never heard of this problem and
could not reproduce it

now on the new box once in a while when you push the SAVE button (of all
things!)
we get an exception error, the save does not occur and protel has to be
killed with the task manager

the protel session is still alive (if you click 'IGNORE')
and you can draw and do most operations
you just can't save the file or quit protel

the only good news here is that if you wait unit the timed backup
period occurs, it will make a good backup in the designated
backup directory

this strongly suggests that this too is a DDB problem of some sort

maybe these are the reasons protel left DDB behind in DXP

Dennis Saputelli