The biggest FPGA I'done is a 144 pin. Yes, it takes some work.
It was a TQFP and I wanted the schematic to look like the
footprint. I placed each pin by hand and named it according to
the ALTERA naming: (TDI, TMS, GNDIO, VCCINT, GCLK1 .. ) but only
after having them placed with increasing numbers as names. I
have the numbers visible and only the changed names, not the
number names.

The motivation to have the schematic equal to the footprint :
When placing tracks to and from the FPGA I want a minimal amount
of vias and crossings, so the process of assigning a wire on
the schematic and assigning a pin in MaxPlus2 or Quartus is
iterative. And having the footprint equal to the footprint
supports that.

Rene