Hi again,

The key problem here is getting the Protel 99SE/SP6 schematic into Word, or
any other graphics program.  It worked last year!  Today it doesn't!
Neither tools has been updated in the mean time. Main trouble is I can't
remember how I made it work last year...

I forgot to mention that cutting and pasting to Corel Draw as an
intermediate step also fails so it's not a Word specific problem (similar
but worse corruption problems occur in Corel with text labels, wires moving
about, arcs turning into circles, etc).

Yes, I agree PDF is a much better transport format for the final version.
In fact I have been distributing all the documentation as PDF files as I can
generally rely on it printing out anywhere, on any printer.  Distributing as
a Word document often ends in tears as other there are too many variables
that affect viewing word documents on other computers including missing or
incompatible graphic object viewers, different page margin settings on other
peoples printers, etc.
I have used Ghostview/Ghostscript to convert the Apple LaserwriterII
postscript output of Word into a PDF with few troubles.

p.s. I agree that using a REAL document system like Pagemaker, Quark, etc.
may be a solution, but I don't have those kinds of resources and can't be
certain that the same cut and paste problems won't occur in those packages.

P.S.S.  I had similar problems many years ago and was eventually told by a
Microsoft Support person that I could not expect Microsoft Office products
to import all WMF graphics reliably from other vendors products.  The reason
given was that although Microsoft wrote and published the WMF standard, they
didn't actually stick to the standard themselves, and the trouble was all
the fault of other vendors (in this case MathWorks Matlab) following the
standard too ridgedly!!!!!

Cheers,
Mark Harrison
Bionic Ear Institute