jeez Terry - that's a great response, thanks

so is it fair to say that a bed 'o nails would do better at finding
random shorts or is it still more dependent on the software and test
programming?

BTW, i've seen the little 'nicks' on the SMD pads, that is a good
telltale sign, but i always assumed that they were from the nails and
not a flying probe
but i don't know for sure

i had no idea about the impedance test as an indication of the veracity
of the connectivity, that makes sense though, i guess this is indeed a
wonderful world

so now that this aspect (impedance) is raised does that mean that as
part of a bare bd test if impedance control is required that it could or
would be specifically tested?

i always thought that that was 'as designed'
i.e., if specific traces were called out as 50 Ohms or whatever that
as a part of a 'normal' bare board test that they would be verified as
well?

or would that be considered an additional test call out ?

Dennis Saputelli