Thanks, Dennis.

Your question about compacting is interesting.  I thought it
compacted automatically when saved.  Should I be performing
some special compacting operation?  I don't see anything like
that in the File menu.

And yes, you are right.  The bitmaps convert into very big
pcb files, with around 100,000 objects per PCB, and with 10
layers, that's tremendous.  I guess I can delete a mechanical
layer after I lay it out.  That's an obvious option, but I
hated to do that before I finished the board in case I needed
to go back and redo something or search out an unrouted con-
nection.

Thanks again, Miker

Dennis Saputelli wrote:

have you been compacting it?
and yes the bitmaps can make thousands of little fills, maybe tens and
tens of thousands in your case
have you checked component info for a count of primitives?
you're going to have to zap a bunch of those puppies