The best way to learn is to make mistakes. To learn big, make big mistakes.

(Of course that isn't the whole story!)

At 12:29 PM 10/16/2002 -0700, JaMi Smith wrote:
Even if it is done at "gerber" time, it may make a difference in how Protel
defines the "pad" to the gerber file based upon whether it is encountered as
part of the design or part of a component, either of which should be
different than a "fill" which it will most certainly "draw".
There are a couple of misconceptions here.

Protel does not understand RS-274X rotations. It has been recommended that this be fixed!

Fills are normally created by using a flash. I.e., Protel treats a fill, which is always rectangular, as if it were a rectangular pad. It creates an aperture for it.

However, because Protel can't rotate this, it must draw rotated non-circular pads.

I do not recall how to control the draw width....

You can build up pads with fine draws if you really need them, as part of the library part, I've done this for critical RF parts. Yes, it's a pain....

As to whether or not it is necessary for a particular design, that's an RF engineering decision that is outside my realm. I'm told that it might be important in some cases.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
LOMAX DESIGN ASSOCIATES
PCB design, consulting, and training
Protel EDA license resales