Wow, check this out:

http://www.airborn.com.au/layout/autotbug.html

The site states:

"Octagonal pads are rotated by 22.5 degrees in gerber plots. Most
australian manufacturers then rotate them back again for you. I elect
not to use octagonal pads for this reason. This issue may be duplicated
in other versions of Protel software"

So apparently this issue you point out has been around for quite some
time!!