On 08:41 PM 1/12/2002 -0500, Mike Reagan said:
Thanks for the input Ian,
One question....does update the component footprint in schematic work in
DXP?  ie  if I change the footprint in a lib for a resistor from 1206 to
0805 then update the schematic, does Protel still have two entries in the
footprint box?  or the correct one?  This is the most troublesome problem we
have with engineers using an old schematic as a reference then updating the
schematic from the libraries.   Has this little problem been addressed in
DXP?

Thanks for the inputs....maybe we will take a second look at it now.

Mike Reagan
EDSI
Mike,

Footprints in DXP schematics are now only one of several "models". It is possible to have more that one model of the same type and one is selected as default. The whole issue of parameter (and model) management (what to preserve and what to update during updates from libraries) has been, and is, an area of discussion, due to the current beta I can't say much more, but I am not worried about the future of this aspect of the program.

You would have to try it yourself to see if it met your needs.

Some other things I forgot to list:
1) Ctrl-R rubber stamp placement mode (like pasting but no need to keep Ctrl-V'ing).
2) Once it is working the autorouter has much greater control over weights and costs.
3) I quite like the new panel based view - though dual monitors make a huge difference. The Inspector panel is good. (I remain unimpressed by the merging of the List view with the Query/Filter entry panels, though details not appropriate here.)
4) Mech layers can be associated (Layer pairs) so they flip layers when components etc are swapped from top to bottom etc. Much like top and bottom solder masks are associated.
5) Then there is the component type stuff Tony K. mentioned.
6) But here is the biggy, the killer feature, the solution to all our ills and the bringer of world peace - the little-arrowy-thingy-next-to-the-file-menu has a *text*, yes a *text*, label!

Enough for now,
Ian