Terry,
        initial suspicions would point toward the fact your Gerber may not
be a Gerber that was originally generated by Protel or it was processed post
generation by Protel. Protel P99SE is only supposed to import Gerber that
was generated by it or has the exact same characteristics as if it was
generated by Protel initially. In short Protel Gerber output only utilizes a
subset of the available Gerber commands and functions, therefore it doesn't
import anything that has certain unsupported Gerber functions in the file.
In some cases it is as simple as a little text editing to the first few
lines of the Gerber file.

        There is a Protel Knowledge item that describes the Gerber file
format (particularly the header issues) that must be there for the file to
import properly. Others might be able to point you to the precise Knowledge
Base item but I have never used it so I don't know the particular number off
hand.

        In short Protel P99SE is quite particular about what Gerber it will
import. If you are transferring old Gerber designs to Protel or something
similar, you will need to become quite familiar with the Gerber massaging
necessary to get it imported to Protel P99SE.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.