>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>Apparently, however, Protel connects sheet entry ports to buses only by
explicit match of the bus number. If I am correct about this, it is a
serious deficiency...

>>To make the connectivity work as desired, without monkeying with the
subsheets, I do not find simple. I could go on to define a workaround, but
first, does anyone else know how to make, say X[0..3] connect to Z[4..7]?

Yes, this is EXACTLY the problem I'm having.  Protel99's weird ideas about how to
connect buses (as I understand them) present a significant barrier to design
re-use--if I want my sub-module's X[7..0] output to hook to Y[15..8] in the top-level,
I have to go back and change the sub-module to either renumber the bus [15..8], or get
rid of the buses entirely and design in terms of single wires (yech...stone
age...maybe I'll put the netlist on punch cards while I'm at it)

>>If Protel supported net renaming, the matter could be accomplished on the
top level. Okay, I'll describe the workaround because Protel *does* support
net renaming, it is merely that it squawks about it.

I'll try this approach next time...I've already gone back and hacked up the design and
converted all 're-named' buses to single wire ports. :(

I'm sure glad someone at Protel worked on that whizzy 3D board viewer instead of
making buses/hierarchy actually work for nontrivial designs--NOT!

On a related Protel-sabotaging-design-reuse note, is there a way to create a
sub-module and connect one of its inputs to power or ground, without getting ERC
errors that claim I've shorted two nets (for example GND vs. the net name inside the
subsheet?)

--
Peter W. Richards / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Design Manager, EE

This email message (and any attached document) contains information from
Reflectivity, Inc. which may be considered confidential by Reflectivity,
or which may be privileged or otherwise exempt from disclosure under law,
and is for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed.  Any other dissemination, distribution or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this message in error,
please notify me and destroy the attached message (and all attached
documents) immediately.