Jami,
   thanks for the thoughts but I really don't believe your issue is related. I have
modified the manner in which I annotate this schematic and proven my own suspicions
that it was matching the part type fields to obtain an annotation order for parts that
were not multi-parts.

Note that from my example every one of the R15, R16, R17 , R18 resistors that I had
indicated were out of order, contained the same part type value (company part number).
They were not entered in any particular order and actually were added gradually over a
number of revisions so there is no hope of an entry order type issue.

   To confirm what I suspected I reset the schematic annotation. I deselected the
match by part Type selection. I annotated the schematic. I got exactly what I would
have expected originally, all of my resistors (and other parts) were annotated
according to their physical location within the schematic pages. No R15s or R16s out
of location amongst R4X or R5X parts. However, I also had annotations of ICs that
assigned individual designations to each individual part of a multipart device.
   Solution: add a second and third step to annotating. After running the annotation
with no match by part type, globally edit the IC designators back to U?. Select
annotate ("?" parts only) select match by Part Type, run annotation to correctly
annotate ICs.

The big question is, do I have to keep doing this? Is there something set somewhere
that I don't know about? Is there another option that is not quite so time consuming?

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.