A second thought, in case the original query is a bust:

Is it possible to supress the ref-designator and part type text display
associated with a schematic component UPON PLACEMENT, without interferring
with the automatic display of these fileds by "normal" components?

That is, when a component is placed, the reference designator and part type
fields are, by default, displayed. Because of this, if the user desires
their supression, they must be manually hidden.

Suppose that there were two different types of situation, one in which a
REAL component, ie, LM317, MC68332, 74HCT245, INA106, etc., uses its fields
normally when depositied on the schematic sheet, and where a second type (a
pseudo-powerport) sup[resses the auto-display of the text fields.

Can be done or no?

thanks,

aj