Ian,

I've developed a work-around for the problem I presented. I'm able to
automatically supress the part-type and ref-des text for only the components
I am placing at a given instant and bypass the "place part" dialog box,
using the Place:part process. Unfortunately, I am still battling an
unexpected 5-15 sec delay between issuing the place:part "command" and
action by the system, resulting in a somewhat clunky execution. I expect I'm
not doing something right, in turn producing this delay. Hopefully it's a
case of pilot failure instead of another P-bug. If the former, I'm sure that
I'll eventually shake it out.

Raw text on a stick-figure graphic was the solution. One object for each
possibility (Blk 20ga, BRN 20 ga., ..., Blk 18ga, ..., 16, 12, 10, 8, 6...)
Labor intensive, but worth it in the long run...It's not as elegant as I
would have preferred, (pinning the ref des to the object center or some
other creator-chosen location would have allowed creation of a single
componet for each wire-type, reducing the tedium by a factor of 12 (the
number of distinct colors for this particular exercise)) but that's okay.

regards,

aj