Ian,
Thanks, so it is just that the library in question still needs to be
open so the fact of having to open all libs makes sense to Protel.
However, just a thought, I believe having to have libraries
open to do this is not great, also the update function should
IMHO be done on the PCB side and as long as a set of libraies
are set up with some sort of path set or part of that project
they should not have to be open to perform an update. As it is
this would not be a problem fo rme as I only have one
library database with one footprint & one symbol library in it,
but I still don't like having to have the library open to update
it, it really should happen from PCB end.

Also one very important question (to me) about Schematic Symbol
update, when you do an update either cache or update symbol
from library (is this same in DXP) does the update ACTUALLY
update all of the data in the symbol such that (including footprint)
if there was a different footprint called out before update will
it put the new footprint defined in the library on the board
or do we still have extra steps to get that to happen properly.
You see I believe an update should really perform and update
all data in the symbol just as if you plcaced that new symbol
from the library to use. Otherwise this is not really an update.
Thanks
Bob Wolfe