On 01:25 PM 28/05/2003, Robert M. Wolfe said:
Ian,
Let me get this straight.
So what you are saying here is that there really is no proper
update footprint?? (reason Protel does not understand the word
update) By that I mean if I have a library of footprints then
change say 10 of them. These 10 were used in a design.
I now would like to be able to update the footprints in the board with the
latest that are in the library with the use of and update
footprint command. In DXP there is still no way to do
that in one update step???

DXP comment:
You can "push" a change, or all changes, from a PCB Library. There are two PCBLib update commands:
Update PCB with Current Footprint, and,
Update PCB with All Footprints

These go some way to updating a design but there is no way (yet) of updating all (or some) of the footprints in a PCB, from all the appropriate libraries. You have to open each library and run one of the above commands.

Nick Martin has written, in the public DXP forum:
"This is definately(sic) an area we will be looking to improve on in the future."

So we have some progress in DXP but still some way to go. If the Sch update process is anything to go by, I would expect the final PCB solution to be quite powerful. But it is not there yet. The Sch process, when run from Sch, is able to target quite specifically which components should be updated.

If you had a known list of libraries I guess you could make a macro to loop through all the libs and do the update - DXP supports both basic macros like P99SE and a new Pascal macro language (though there does not seem to be a whole lot more you can do with them, in the sense that ther underlying attributes are not exposed, you still need a server to do that).

Ian