Hi folks,
leave it to Leo to crash into weird stuff: the PCB editor refuses to rotate components when I press the spacebar.

What happened: last wednesday I was happily working on a complex design and all I had to do was annotate (auto-annotate makes a mess of multi-part components) and fill the PCB with parts in the proper place. With a long weekend ahead and nothing better to do I took de .DDB file home to some work on it (stupid thing to do: we have fabulous weather).
Found a few errors, corrected them and issued the update PCB command. Shuffled some of the components around, and then it was monday again (told ya: fabulous weather)....
Took the .DDB file back to work, opened it and tried to pick up where I left. I typed M-C and picked up a chip: it moved OK, but wouldn't rotate with the spacebar (or any other key for that matter; tried different components: no luck).
Opening the LIB, re-update PCB from both LIB and Sch, closing and re-opening: nothing I tried so far helps.
However, it IS still possible to manually rotate the part by editing the rotation.

I am convinced I messed something up, but what?
Any help is greatly appreciated.