From: Matt Polak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 03 June 2003 10:12
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] six or eight-layer (or more?) stackups

At 10:57 AM 6/3/2003 +0930, you wrote:
>Michael
>
>The "text book" standard that  is
>
>1    signal
>2    gnd
>3    signal
>4    gnd
>5    pwr
>6    signal
>7    pwr
>8    signal
>
>thou never actually using 8 layers this is all i can give you. Hope it
helps.

         Out of curiosity, what is the typical textbook stackup for a
six-layer board? Do you typically have two signal, two power, two ground
planes, or can you have, say, three signals layers and two power and one
ground plane? i.e.

1. signal
2. gnd
3. pwr
4. signal
5. pwr
6. signal

         I would imagine this should be fine if there are no plane splits,
save for possibly some on 3, since all signal layers would be directly
adjacent to at least one unbroken plane... Or is my thinking flawed on
this? Four layer is easy, and eight makes sense... But how do you typically
work up the more oddball ones like six or ten or (shudder) even twenty two?
I am looking at a design now that I think will probably require at least
three signal layers to route, but I think an eight-layer board would be
something of an overkill and would like to stick to six.

         How do folks typically deal with distributing power to parts that
require separate core and I/O, maybe different cores for different parts on
the board? For instance, multiple FPGAs that require a 2.5v core and 3.3v
IO, and a DSP which requires a 1.8v core and 3.3v IO? Obviously 3.3v should
probably have it's own power plane across the board, but can you take an
inner power layer (like #3 in the above example) and split it between 1.8v
and 2.5v as needed to source the core voltages as and where needed?

         I've done four layer boards fine this far; my approach (under QFP
FPGAs that required 2.5v core and 3.3v IO) was to pour a polygon-plane on
the top signal layer under the chip, and to connect this to all of the
necessary pins, decouple the living daylights out of it, and then run a
very fat trace on the back of the board over to the 2.5v regulator. It
seems to have worked just fine on the latest run of boards - very clean
power being supplied to all of the core pins - but I'm always interested in
other's approaches that may be better suited to these kinds of situations.

         Someone really needs to write a modern 'style guide' to multilayer
PCB layout, y'know? Not just the math and theory covered in several of the
better books out there, but one also covering component layout techniques,
approaches to signal and bus routing, shapes and patterns of via layout for
moving busses from one layer to the other nicely, how to route *special*
signals (differential, controlled impedance, matched length, etc), how to
efficiently break out BGAs, and so forth. Certainly would make life a
little easier for us newbies! :D

Regards,
-- Matt