Might just be a default security setting, since the numbers of services and
related functionality that have become diabled by default have dramatically
risen over the last few version upgrades (w9x->NT->2k->XP). Check
Microsoft's KB or DejaNews (now Google) for "command prompt in WinXP" or
similar search phrases.