Dennis,
        I last used PADs in about 1998 (Power PCB early versions, 3.X I think). At
that time it didn't have anything that would support the level of intelligence that
you described. Just like with Protel, you would have had to select the part & fanout,
then move it, then reroute traces. I suspect that the operation is not as simple even
today as this person told you, especially not without running an autorouter. PADs did
rubber band traces but it typically did so with no intelligence and left a mess that I
typically found worse to clean up than deleting the traces and re-routing from scratch
in that effected area.
        I would have to ask, does Spectra have this capability? If Spectra doesn't
then I suspect that nobody does, at least not as simply as it was described.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail and any attached files may contain information that is
confidential and may be privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
message to the intended recipient,  please
notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use
it for any purpose or store or copy
the information in any medium.  Thank you.