Thanks to Steve & Brian who replied to my question; I have checked the
points they raised, and still no luck.

However, I noticed today that when I start the Autorouter, there is
quite a bit of copper already on the PCB, from previous sessions. Maybe
I'm doing something completely wrong, but my process is:

1/ Place components as ideally as possible
2/ Autoroute. DRC reports clearance errors and short circuits
3/ Tools, "Unroute All" (but about 15 tracks remain)
4/ Adjust component placement
5/ Autoroute. DRC reports clearance errors and short circuits again

It looks as though the Autorouter is unable to work around all the
existing copper - is there something else to do to 'purge' the board of
copper, in addition to 'Unroute All'

Thanks, Peter Moreton