Expediency and trust Steve,
        1)      I don't want to have to track them down to get another copy.
        2)      I don't trust that haven't changed something further since they passed
it to me (happens all the time here).
        3)      I don't keep back-ups, that is MIS' responsibility and they aren't
readily available nor are their back-ups absolutely current (may be 1 - 2 hours old).
MIS doesn't want me keeping back-ups on their precious network real estate and they
don't want their back-up system wasting it's time and resources making back-ups of
back-ups.
        4)      As I said, I find the recycle bin a nuisance at times but what else is
it for? Why should it not be trusted, bad experiences?
        5)      I am not a contractor, if I was then I would have an archive of
everything that I receive from a customer, such is only good practice and a prudent
CYA policy.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer