---- snippy ---------
>       One pro for panelizing in Protel, at least with the fab
> shop we were just recently using. You can generate a P&P for
> all boards using 1 reference location. The caveat, unless you
> do something special, you will have duplicate designators
> that will cause pains for P&P, assembly & inspection. The
> shop we recently used was unable (or unwilling) to edit two
> P&P files giving them a common reference and combining the
> P&P files. (I don't know exactly why so don't ask, I thought
> it was a no-brainer, they complained and actually ran the
> board through P&P twice. Once for each board on the panel (2-up).)

Brad,

Sounds as if they were just un-willing, in my limited experience, the
normal method to program Placement machines for panelled images, is to
only supply placement information for a single circuit with a suitable
zero point, preferably a fiducial mark. For no other reason than to
avoid errors.

Only additional information I have had to supply other companies as a
courtesy, is a 3 column XLS files which has a full part number mapped to
the part reference in the PP file and also the package information
(8/12/16mm tape, matrix tray....).

The same fiducial mark is used as a reference point for all other
images, the step/repeat information only being a single entry in the
placement file per circuit.

As a luxury on some lines, it is usually possible to also add 'bad'
marks, which the placement machine / AOI can look at before starting a
run, and if the bad mark is blocked by label or black marker, the
placement machine can skip placement of the 'bad' circuit on the panel.
There can be many reasons for skipping a circuit, it does not actually
have to be electrically bad.

We do this all the time on our own machines, but also on those owned by
our partners Universal/Fuji/Panasonic/Philips...

Best Regards

John A. Ross

RSD Communications Ltd
8 BorrowMeadow Road
Springkerse Industrial Estate
Stirling, Scotland FK7 7UW

Tel     +44 [0]1786 450572 Ext 225 (Office)
Tel     +44 [0]1786 450572 Ext 248 (Lab)
Fax     +44 [0]1786 474653
GSM     +44 [0]7831 373727

Email   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW     http://www.rsd.tv